SALVATORE BOARDING HOUSE, 1953 FLASHBACK
- Voiceover from a radio: And that's for state of the world from your hometown news station on June 11, 1953. Goodnight Mystic Falls.
(A maid is cleaning up in the boarding house when Damon enters.)
- Damon: Hey. I'm looking for Joseph Salvatore.
- Joseph: (walking in) You found him.
- Damon: Love what you've done with the place. If this whole boarding house thing doesn't pan out, you can always turn it into a high class brothel.
- Joseph: Glad you got my telegram. I haven't heard from Stefan yet, but I'm hoping he'll be here soon. When's the last time you two spoke?
- Damon: Well, he doesn't call, he doesn't write. Of course, neither do I. In all fairness, I am the one that abandoned him on a train platform in the middle of World War II.
- Joseph: (pouring a drink) Well, there's always time to be a better man.
- Damon: Eh, not sure I got one of those in me.
(Damon, looking away, grabs the drink from Joseph's hand while he grabs a syringe from the table and stabs Damon's wrist. Damon goes dizzy.)
- Joseph: Sorry about the vervain, Damon. The money was too good to pass up.
(Even though he's still dizzy from the vervain, Damon gathers strength, spills the liquid on the floor and stabs his glass into Joseph's neck. He groans and falls to the floor. An unknown man enters the room just then.)
- Man: Well, now I won't have to pay him.
- Damon: (groaning) Who the hell are you?
(The man picks up the syringe, refills it.)
- Man: I'll be your doctor from now on.
(He injects it into Damon's neck again.)
- Damon: (Faintly) Uhh.. What are you doing to me?
- Man: Just a little vervain.
(Damon groans and falls to the floor.)
PRESENT DAY, AN UNKNOWN CELL
(Damon opens his eyes to see Dr. Maxfield injecting him with vervain.)
- Damon: What the hell are you doing to me?
- Wes: Vervain. To keep you calm.
- Damon: Wes? Why am I here?
- Wes: I lost a test subject last night, and you're gonna replace him.
(He closes the gate to the cell.)
TITLE CARD AND CREDITS
(Katherine is writing down in a diary with a slightly irritated look on her face.)
- Katherine: Dear diary, so here I am alive. Stefan saved me from killing myself. Now he's got me on suicide watch. He says it would be therapeutic for me to write down my feelings about the fact that I'm dying and there's nothing I can do about it. Deep thoughts, mortal coil, blah blah blah. My hand's tired.
(She tears the page out from the diary, crushes it and throws it at the back. Stefan is pacing in front of her in the same room.)
- Katherine: What kind of sentimental idiot writes down everything they feel? Is this what the prophecy meant when it said that all the doppelgängers were drawn together like magnets? Because if it is, I want my money back.
- Stefan: I'm just trying to make sure you don't slit your wrists.
- Katherine: Well, this whole neurotic granny vibe, doesn't exactly make me want to live. Do you really have nothing better to do than stand there all day and watch me write in cursive?
- Stefan: I'm trying to make sure you don't kill yourself.
- Katherine: And how are you going to do that? You know, since you're still having your little panic attacks?
- Stefan: I'm fine.
- Katherine: Yeah. Of course. You are the picture of mental health, Stefan, after being locked for three months in a safe, at the bottom of a quarry.
- Stefan: I am dealing with it.
- Katherine: I know. I mean, I heard you "dealing" with it earlier today in the library. It sounded like you freaked out and broke a chair, maybe even two. How are you supposed to help me stay alive if you can't even help yourself?
- Stefan: So does this mean you want to live?
- Katherine: No. It means I can't work with people who can't give me 100%.
(There is a knock at the door.)
- Katherine: And so, I may have called for backup.
(Stefan opens the door to find Caroline standing outside, smiling.)
- Stefan: What are you doing here?
- Caroline: I'm your sober sponsor, and I heard that you needed help.
- Stefan: Really?
- Caroline: And I got my Mom to drop off something for us to use.
(She moves aside to reveal the Pierce & Franklin safe that Stefan was locked in. Stefan stares at it.)
- Caroline: Don't worry. I sanitized it.
JESSE AND AARON'S ROOM
(There is a knock on the door. Aaron opens in to find Elena standing outside.)
- Elena: Aaron. Hey!
- Jesse: Hey. So, you heard?
- Elena: Heard what?
- Aaron: That Jesse's dead. He killed himself last night. Campus security came by to tell me.
- Elena: (With a guilty look on her face) Oh, my God. I'm so sorry.
(Aaron moves away from the door to let Elena in.)
- Aaron: What's up with this college? It's supposed to be different. I came here to start fresh, get away from all the crap in my past.
- Elena: (Closing the door) I get it. After everything you've been through, everything that you've lost, I would want to start over too.
- Aaron: How do you hit the reset button?
- Elena: (surprised) Me? I-- I haven't reset anything. All my problems, they've followed me here. Come to think of it, I'm probably not the right person to be getting advice from.
- Aaron: So, if you're not here about Jesse, uh, why are you here?
- Elena: I don't wanna bother you, especially not right now.
- Aaron: My day's not gonna get any worse, so, uh, go ahead.
- Elena: Ok. Well, um, last night, you told me that Wes was your legal guardian.
- Aaron: Yeah. Since past summer after my aunt Sara died. You see what I'm talking about? Everyone around me ends up dead, and my sunny disposition makes me so many friends. It's-- I'm sorry. Go ahead.
- Elena: Um, the thing is my boyfriend Damon went to talk to Wes last night, and no one's really seen or heard from either of them since and that kind of worries me, you know? So I-- I know how bad the timing, is but I just-- I was hoping maybe you could help me find Wes.
- Aaron: Yeah. Yeah. (getting up) I think I know a place where we can look.
(Damon is trapped in a cell and Dr. Wes is watching him writing things down.)
- Damon: (Saying in a tired, annoyed voice) Just so you know, didn't end well for the last Augustines. You're inviting bad karma in by holding me here.
- Wes: Is that what you told Dr. Whitmore?
--FLASHBACK 1953 UNKNOWN LAB--
(Damon is strapped to a table and Dr. Whitmore comes in.)
- Damon: (voiceover) Dr. Whitmore wasn't much for conversation.
(It is revealed that the man from the flashback at the beginning of the episode is Dr. Whitmore. He then checks Damon's eyes with a flashlight and checking his stomach.)
- Damon: As much as I would like a free checkup, (trying to compel Dr. Whitmore) you're gonna let me go.
- Dr. Whitmore: (smiles and pats Damon on the shoulder) That's a good try. (shows Damon his watch) I'm wearing vervain.
- Damon: (sounding annoyed) You know, most people would buy me dinner first.
- Dr. Whitmore: This isn't a personal matter. It's for the advancement of science.
- Damon: What the hell are you talking about?
- Dr. Whitmore: You're a vampire. Your blood heals others, your body heals itself. You'll regenerate parts of internal organs, (he picks up scalpel) after I remove them.
- Damon: Listen. How I got this amazing body has nothing to do with science, so running-- aah! (Dr. Whitmore stabs him with the scalpel on his eye.)
- Dr. Whitmore: You talk too much.
(Dr. Whitmore unstrap Damon and he falls on the floor.)
- Damon: So you Augustine freaks are still at it, eye exams and that sort of thing?
- Wes: Jesse was proof that my research goes far beyond that. (smiling) I trained him to crave vampire blood instead of human blood. Now, I'm ready to take my research to the next level.
COLLEGE CAMPUS - OUTSIDE
(Elena and Aaron are walking together.)
- Aaron: Just doesn't make sense why Jesse would kill himself.
- Elena: So, you believe what campus security told you?
- Aaron: Why, do you know something else?
- Elena: Don't you think it's weird that both of your friends committed suicide before the first semester was even over?
- Aaron: Yeah, of course I think it's weird. Jesse loved it here, he had a huge crush on your friend. Megan had all these plans for her life.
- Elena: Which is why none of this makes sense. (they stop walking and Elena stand in front of him) Aaron, look. I found Megan's body the night that she died. She was murdered, and Wes forged her death certificate.
- Aaron: You saw her death certificate?
- Elena: I did some digging. Wes is part of something much bigger than anyone even realizes.
- Aaron: (confused) Let's find him first. I want to hear his side of the story.
(He walks away and Elena follows him.)
(Aaron opens the door.)
- Elena: Oh, um... (he enters the house) you know, when you said that Wes was probably doing research (she stands at the entrance of the house) I didn't realize it would be here (she looks at her feet) at Whitmore House.
- Aaron: Oh, yeah. This place is like a second home.
- Elena: Mmmhmm.
- Aaron: What are you waiting for? Come in.
(Still a little apprehensive, Elena takes one step and it works. She can enter the house.)
- Elena: So, who owns this place? (She closes the door.)
- Aaron: Not to sound like a douche, but technically, I do. (She gives him a confused look.) Yeah. It's part of the Whitmore trust that I inherited when my parents died. Yeah, don't hold that against me. Usually when people find out that my name's Aaron Whitmore--
- Elena: Wait. Hold on. Your last name's Whitmore? So you, like, own this school?
- Aaron: That's what they think.
(Elena looks around and notices a framed picture with a plaque that reads 'Whitmore House - 50th Anniversary Commemoration' and a man in the picture catches her attention.)
- Elena: That's my dad.
(Wes walks into the room.)
- Wes: Grayson Gilbert was one of the best doctors the Augustines ever had.
(Elena turns away from Wes to look at the picture again and he uses this opportunity to stab her in the neck with vervain. She falls on the floor.)
- Aaron: What the hell?
- Wes: I'm glad he didn't live to see this.
(Caroline and Stefan stand in front of the safe, which is already inside the house on the library's floor.)
- Stefan: I spent 3 months drowning in this thing. What the hell were you thinking?
- Caroline: I was thinking it's time for you to deal with the source of your PTSD.
- Stefan: And you're sure you're not just sublimating your feelings about what happened to Jesse last night?
- Caroline: (turning away from him) Feelings? What feelings would I have about my best friend killing the guy I was crushing on?
- Stefan: He was out of control, and Elena did what she had to do.
- Caroline: No. Elena did what she thought she had to do just like she also thought (she faces him) that Damon was good boyfriend material. Now you see wher I'm going with this?
- Stefan: Anyways, aren't you a drama major? What do you know about PTSD?
- Caroline: (smiles) Well, I know that you tried to deal with it your own way and you failed, so now... (she opens the safe) ...we're gonna try it my way.
(Stefan stares at the open safe and then at Caroline.)
(Wes and Aaron are in a bedroom. Wes unlocks and opens a closet.)
- Aaron: You know that this is kidnapping, right?
- Wes: That was more like a tranquilizer.
- Aaron: (in disbelief) What? Ok. Uh, what is going on here, Wes?
- Wes: I had to make sure Megan's death didn't draw attention to my work.
- Aaron: (sarcastically) Oh, to your work, your work? You study infectious disease transmittal!
- Wes: I study vampires.
- Aaron: What?
- Wes: They exist, Aaron, and Elena Gilbert is one of them. The syringe I used on her had vervain in it. Think of it as an antivampire drug. It's one of my safety measures.
(He turns away again to look into the closet. Aaron is still visibly confused. Wes opens a safe inside the closet and it contains several wooden stakes and a folder, among other things.)
- Aaron: Where did all this stuff come from?
- Wes: This work has been going on for generations in secret. Your family pioneered it. (Aaron sits on a chair.) Your dad trained me in it, and after your father died, the Whitmore trust continued to fund my research.
- Aaron: Why didn't you ever tell me about this?
- Wes: You never needed to know before now. (He turns to take the folders out of the safe.) I meant to tell you this on your birthday. (Holding the folders.) This is what your family fought for and believed in, Aaron. Consider it your legacy.
(He offers the folders to Aaron.)
(Damon, still in his cell, sees Elena in the cell next to his.)
- Damon: (to himself) Come on, Elena. Wake up.
(Elena, who's on the floor, groans, moves around and open her eyes. She looks around and sees Damon.)
- Damon: Hey.
- Elena: Damon? (She desperately tries to get up and reach Damon.) Are you---
- Damon: I'm fine. Wes injected you with vervain. Maybe when it wears off, we'll be able to-- (grabs the cell's bars and tries to shake them) uhn -- break through these.
- Elena: (sitting up) What the hell is going on? Why are you here? Why am I here?
- Damon: Wes is carrying out the grand Augustine tradition. Getting his kicks off vampire torture.
- Elena: Did he tell you that?
- Damon: He didn't have to. I've been here before.
(She looks at him concerned.)
(The flashback shows a montage of different scenes of Dr. Whitmore opening Damon's body and pulling out body parts.)
- Damon: (voice-over) Someone in my family sold me out to the Augustines in 1953. Every day, this nut job Dr. Whitmore tortured us, cut into us, took pieces of our eyes out, pushed us to every limit he could imagine, and he had quite the imagination.
--END OF FLASHBACK--
- Damon: Kept me in this very cell, and don't think I haven't appreciated the irony.
- Elena: How long were you here?
- Damon: 5 years, give or take.
- Elena: Damon, how did you not go crazy?
- Damon: Believe it or not, I made a friend.
(The flashback shows Damon being thrown into his cell by Dr. Whitmore. The guy on the cell next door engages in conversation with Damon.)
- Man: Welcome. Dr. Whitmore never gets tired of watching us vampire heal, but he gives us one glass of blood per day, just enough to keep us alive. Pick yourself up, soldier. (He gets closer to Damon, bars in between them, and he offers his hand.) My name's Enzo.
--END OF FLASHBACK--
- Damon: (standing up) He was a soldier in Europe during World War II.
- Elena: How did he end up here?
- Damon: Dr. Whitmore was working in a battlefield hospital when he discovered Enzo was a vampire, so he drugged him, locked him in a coffin to ship him overseas.
(The flashback shows Enzo drinking his daily glass of blood.)
- Damon: (voice-over) He'd been here for 10 years by the time I joined the party.
(Damon chugs down his glass of blood.)
- Enzo: You're doing it wrong. (He takes a small sip off of his glass.) You're living for the moment. You need to live for the future.
- Damon: What future?
- Enzo: The one where you get your revenge. For instance, in my future, my revenge will start with killing Whitmore's dog and mailing it to his house postage due. Go on. Picture your revenge. Use your imagination.
(Damon, who is laying on the floor, lets his glass drop and smirks. He sits up. He grabs a rock from the floor.)
- Damon: I can see it.
(He starts to carve on the cell's rock wall.)
--END OF FLASHBACK--
- Elena: Damon, Wes knew my dad. They worked together. He said that my dad was an Augustine, too. I know that my dad was a vampire hunter, but he was also the town doctor. He was kind and gentle and loving. He wouldn't be part of a place that would cut your eyes out.
- Damon: People are full of surprises. (Elena buries her head between her arms, laying face down on the floor.) Oh, hey. (He approaches the bars that separate them.) I am so, so sorry I got you caught up in this. (He reaches for her hand.) Hey. Look at me. Hey. (She looks up.) But I promise you I will get you out of here, ok? Ok? (She holds his hand with both of hers.) I'll get you out of here.
(They both nod and she smiles.)
(Damon continues to be lost in his thoughts, a mirage of images flashing before his eyes relating to his earlier imprisonment: getting injected with vervain, then tortured and hit by Dr. Whitmore. Beside him, Elena is standing up in her cell with her arms through the bars; he is doing the same)
Elena: Damon ... how'd you survive all those years?
--FLASHBACK: AUGUSTINE CELLS--
Damon: (voice-over) Enzo's friendship kept me alive ... he gave me a reason to hold on to my humanity.
(Enzo is standing up, his arms through the bars. Damon is huddled on in ground in his cell, deeply in pain after all the torture)
Enzo: You much of a sport's fan, Damon?
Damon: (voice-over) Even when I thought I'd be a prisoner forever.
Enzo: ... yeah, neither am I. Any other interests? Fine wines, travels, cars? (Looks at Damon, who still too pained to answer) I'm partial to Jaguars myself. Convertibles. The kind you'd take on a Sunday drive to impress a pretty girl. Ever done that?
Damon: (pauses, then wills himself to speak) .... Once or twice.
Enzo: Oh, come on. It's gotta be more than that.
Damon: Well, the girl I was trying to impress was ... (stops, in pain) a horse and carriage type girl.
Enzo: So just one girl?
Damon: Never met another one like her.
Enzo: Well, fair enough.
Damon: (moves over on his back, grunting in pain) What about you? Any pretty girls?
Enzo: Too many to count. (Pauses, looking more serious) Actually, there was one. Her name was Maggie. (smiles)
Damon: Where'd you meet her?
Enzo: Here of all places. She was working for Dr. Whitmore.
Damon: (sarcastically) Charming.
Enzo: She was. Very. (Looks away, smiling) She was kind to me. She used to sit here the whole way taking notes to observe me.
Damon: (in surprise) That's how you fell for her?
Enzo: Well, she was also stunningly beautiful.
Enzo: You have to understand. She wasn't part of the torture and experiments. For the longest while, she didn't realize Dr. Whitmore was doing more than just observing my behavior. I didn't have the heart to tell her. I was too glad of her company, y'know?
Damon: (sympathatically) Yeah.
Enzo: When she finally realized what was going on here ... she couldn't bear it. So she said she was sorry ... and she left.
Damon: Well, y'know (turns over on his stomach to look at him) ... it'd never really worked anyway. For a vampire, if she's a human, the relationship would've been doomed from the beginning.
Enzo: (sarcastically) Any more positive outlet, mate?
(Damon smiles at him, only for him to rise to his feet immediately after hearing a door open. It's Dr. Whitmore walking in front of their cells and holding his keys. He stops and looks at the two of them)
Dr. Whitmore: Who's next?
(Damon and Enzo look at him tensely, saying nothing as Dr. Whitmore does another sweeping glance.)
Dr. Whitmore: (looks to Damon) 21051, you seem to have a bit more energy. (Walks over in front of his cell, preparing to unlock it)
Enzo: I'll take that as an insult! (Grabs the bars, rattling it angrily for a moment) I have far more energy than my neighbor here.
(Dr. Whitmore pauses, then walks over to Enzo's cell)
Enzo: I can't believe you didn't notice.
Dr. Whitmore: You're turn, then.
(Dr. Whitmore unlocks the cell, grabbed Enzo firmly, and carried him out of the cell to be experimented on. Damon looks on in shock before hitting the bars once in anger and pacing in his cell. He hears Enzo's screams of pain, prompting him to pace some more until he sits down in his cell and holds the bars.)
(Some time later, Dr. Whitmore returns and roughly throws Enzo in his cell without a word or another glance. He starts walking out of the cell area.)
Damon: Why are you doing this to us?!
Dr. Whitmore: (stops and looks at Damon) Because, 21051, I'm seeking out the smallest indivisble unit of your biological make-up. And once I can understand you from a celluar level, I can put you to use.
(Dr. Whitmore walks away, leaving an angry and frustrated Damon looking on in his cell)
--END OF FLASHBACK--
Elena: (in concern) Oh my god, Damon ... Okay, Stefan is going to figure this out. When you don't come home and no one hears from me, he will find us.
Damon: Points for optimism. But unfortunately, Stefan doesn't even know this place exists.
Elena: But you were here for five years.
Damon: Yeah, and in the first year, I'd thought he'd rescue me. He didn't and once I escaped, there was no point in giving him more to feel guilty about so ... I never told him what happened here. I never told anyone.
Elena: Yeah, but you did escape. How'd you do it?
Damon: ... They let us out of the basement once a year.
--FLASHBACK: AUGUSTINE PARTY 1957--
(Several peple are grouped together at party, mingling with each other and drinking. Enzo and Damon are in the far back, locked in a cage to watch)
Damon: (voice-over) Every new year's eve, the Augustine people had a little cock-tail party with a vampire buffet on the side. We were weak from vervain injections.
(Enzo and Damon's cage is opened, then Enzo is pulled out and taken by Dr. Whitmore)
Damon: (voice-over) Half-starved from living on a glass of blood a day. Chained up like animals. The annual shin-dig was when Dr. Whitmore was got to show his Augustine friends what he had found in his research.
(Dr. Whitmore gripped Enzo's wrist and cut it deeply with a knife, having the blood flow into glasses. Afterwrds, he puts Enzo back in the cage and reaches out to a nearby woman with his hand)
Dr. Whitmore: Ms. Fell has generously offered her hand for the purpose of a demonstration. Please observe. (He cuts Ms. Fell's hand with a knife across the palm, causing it to bleed)
Damon: (voice-over) He let his guests drink from us to demonstrate the healing power of vampire blood.
(Ms. Fell hesitantly drinks from a glass of blood, prompting Dr. Whitmore to grab her hand to show the rest of his guests)
Dr. Whitmore: It's completely healed. No nerve damage, no muscular damage. See for yourselves.
(Ms. Fell's hand is immediately healed, causing the audience to clap in amazement and wonder. Enzo and Damon watch from their cages.
---END OF FLASHBACK---